Thursday, August 19, 2010

Zinio For iPad - Be prepared to spend more that you've paid for

Hi Gang,

Today I'm going to talk about the Zinio app for iPad. When I initially loaded Zinio onto my iPad I thought it was great, you're able to puchase and read magazines where ever you are. As for the magazine collection goes you can purchase most magazine you see on bookstand and reading them on the iPad is a rich experience due to external links, interactivity some mags can even talk to you!

However, there are three things that wont make me read magazines anymore, when you first get Zinio it come with some magazines preloaded so you can see what its like before you make a purchase of subscription while I was reading one I  was unaware of how much it was costing me to download. I'm on the Alpha plan which means I get 250 mb for twenty bucks per months so I was reading this free magazine for approx 6 minutes and it used up 95 mb of my quota! Its fair enough to say I wasnt too happy!

The second thing, I tried to sign up to the Zinio website but they didn't have "New Zealand" in the drop down list. Yeah I could of sent them a email but I didn't worry after seeing where my quota had gone.

The third thing, when I loaded it onto my iPad and launched it, the iPad crashed! After sniffing around forums etc... I found out that I actually had to update it to work, this wasn't really a problem but it took up half an hour and 450 mb I did not need.

I do believe (and hope) that Zinio would approve this app, because I think its a fantastic idea reading mags on the iPad, its just so much easier than a physical book!

But dont take my word for it, if you want to try it, go ahead this is just my experience.

So I'm sorry to say but reading electronic magazines is still quite expensive (and a bit sow) on the iPad

 

Have a technology filled weekend!

zinio.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment